Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Camping We Will Go

We left last Thursday to go camping... we left the rain to drive to the rain. We probably would have cancelled, but we had promised our friend Kate that we would drive up for her graduation (05/28) and we were trying to make it a family vacation weekend.

We camped at Cleburne State Park, southwest of Ft. Worth. Friday, we contacted some friends who we found out had moved from Belton (Texas) to Southlake (Texas) which is near FW. We spent the day with them, with Bugman and Toby (our friend, who is the new preacher at the Southlake Blvd. Church) putting their heads together and discussing matters of theology. Toby's wife, Missy, and I went down to Imprints to look (and buy!) rubber stamps and other ephemera. That afternoon, we had dinner with some other old friends, the Steeves, and their boys.

One fun thing was Friday we stopped for fuel (diesel... we have a diesel 15-passenger van). The station we chose had one diesel pump which was OLD (i.e., you can't use a credit card... you have to go in and pay the cashier first to get them to turn on the pump). Bugman told me "go in and pay, and I'll pump" so I did. When I came out, this is what I found:


This is George. He pumps the gas at the FULL SERVICE pump at the Shell in Cleburne. Yes, I did say FULL SERVICE. Who knew they still had them? Not me. I don't think I've had full service in the nearly 21 years I have been married!
George was great! He even gave the kids bubble gum. We talked with him a long time. The diesel pump is at the full service section (which I think is just so George has a job. He is about 75 years old!), so we went ahead and took advantage of it. What a treat.
More later on this adventure!

1 comment:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Wow - I thought OR was the only place left with full service stations - and their attendants are not near as cool as George.

Glad you were able to get away and spend time with friends.