Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Is one Pledge enough?

I have been watching intently the political process as it takes place in our country. As many of you know, we have been involved in local politics for a long time here in our own little hamlet, and my interest and involvement does not stop there. I will tell you up front, I am not happy with any that are running for president, and when it is time to vote, both in the primary and in November, I will be struggling with what to do.

That said, there has been a controversy stirring regarding Mr. Obama and whether he does or does not put his hand over his heart during the Pledge of Allegiance. Upon further investigation, I found that it was NOT the pledge where he did not put his hand over his heart, but during the National Anthem.

Now, the first thing I will say is this: when I was growing up, we were taught to put our hand over our hearts during the pledge, but NOT during the National Anthem. We were to stand, quietly, with our hands at our sides and sing (or not sing). Now, a big hullaballew is being made over Mr. Obama NOT putting his hand over his heart during a song. I don't have a problem with him NOT doing that. I have a problem over everyone else doing it!

The Star Spangled Banner, while a lovely song with a lovely sentiment (that often will bring me to tears when someone sings it properly!) is not a promise - a pledge - to do something. It is a song describing what our country is and what it stands for. I think taking off my hat, standing at attention, and quietly listening or singing is honor enough.

Regarding the pledge, I have been discussing this with my very opinionated friend AP, and she says that "How many times must one take a pledge? The continual cultural pledging is nothing but propaganda and indoctrination. Why do we home school?" An interesting point. Once I pledge my allegiance to the flag, how come I have to continue to do so? Especially if I haven't stated that I change my mind?

One of my boys (legoboy) stated that one of his teachers at co-op got angry when he wouldn't put his hand over his heart during the Anthem. Ha. I told him next time to have them come find me (since I am almost ALWAYS there) and I would be sure to clarify things with them.

I would be interested in any feedback.

1 comment:

US said...

hmmm... I was taught to put my hand over my heart during the National Anthem (I grew up in military communities). I also think that when I was military myself we were instucted to do this if we were not in uniform (otherwise, we were to salute).